How to Declare Gov/Plans of Study


Sophomore Concentration Declarations are due Thursday, November 17.

As the deadline for declaring your concentration approaches, those of you thinking about declaring a concentration in Government may be wondering exactly how to do it! It’s a 3-step process:

  1. Submit a declaration of concentration request on my.harvard. Directions on how to do that can be found at
  2. Government will not be using the Registrar’s Plan of Study form. We are using the Government Plan of Study Form. Please download this form and fill it out. To make sure you're including all of the courses you need, reference our Concentration Requirements.
  3. Meet with a Gov concentration adviser* or staff member** to review your completed Government Plan of Study form and have it approved and signed. You will submit the hard copy of this Plan of Study to the person who signs it, who will then approve your declaration.

*Each House has a concentration adviser specifically assigned to students in that House. Their names and contact information can be found on the Concentration Advisers webpage

**The staff in the office (CGIS Knafel 151) are:

Cheryl Welch, Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS)
Dr. George Soroka (ADUS)
Karen Kaletka, Coordinator of Undergraduate Studies
Tricia Vio, Student Services Staff Assistant

Thinking of a Joint Concentration? Please contact Karen Kaletka before you submit your concentration declaration. Students are allowed to declare only one concentration in November, and must speak with the Gov DUS, Prof. Cheryl Welch, before petitioning for a joint concentration with Gov.

We hope that this information helps you as you explore your options and decide on the concentration that is best for you.  Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the concentration.